“Lechon belly” kung tawagin ng ilan. Dahil sobrang tagal gawin, tuwing pasko o new year ko lang niluluto to. Goods din para tambay ka lang sa kusina at di mo makasalamuha yung mga tito o tita mong tatanungin ka kung bat ka tumaba o bat wala ka pang asawa.
Pork belly slab
Salt & pepper
Green onions, finely chopped
Lemon grass, finely chopped.
- Clean the pork belly slab and pat dry, as dry as you can.
- Score the meat part of the slab with diamond patterns then rub minced garlic into it, season with salt and pepper.
- Put the slab skin side up then heavily salt the skin.
- Place the slab into a container without a lid or a tray. Let sit in the fridge overnight.
- Remove the salt and the garlic from the slab.
- Mix all the ingredients for the stuffing in a separate bowl.
- Pat dry the slab as dry as you can.
- Using a thin or fillet knife, make multiple slits in between the meat and the fat, this is a part where the herbs would be stuffed. More slits, more herb flavor. Try to balance it out.
- With the skin side up, using the thin or fillet knife again, pierce the skin multiple times and as many as you can. This would induce the crackling of the skin.
- Pat dry the slab again, as dry as you can.
- Placing the slab meat side up, stuff the slab with the herbs stuffing into the slits you’ve made.
- Also rub and add the stuffing into the meat part of the slab, especially on the scores you’ve made earlier.
- Roll the slab as tight as you can then tie with butcher’s twine. Make sure it is secured with the twine.
- Preheat your oven to 175°C.
- Thinly coat the outside part of the roll with cooking oil sprinkle all parts with salt.
- Once oven has preheated, place the roll into the oven and roast at 175°C for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, you may coat the roll again with oil.
- Set your oven to 250°C and let it roast for for another hour.
- Once done, let it rest in a wire rack for around 30 minutes before cutting and serving.
- I highly suggest to eat it without sauce, but you may add toyomansi with chopped onion or Mang Tomas if you can’t be stopped